Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Good to be Back

I had been looking forward to Sunday for a while. Honestly since the last time I left Paris I’ve been wanting to go back to Emmanuel International Church (EIC). Emmanuel is an English speaking church in the suburbs of Paris that is affiliated with the International Baptist Convention. I found it online the last time I was here and I really enjoyed it, although I didn’t get to attend as often as I wanted because of the study abroad program. I got up early Sunday because I couldn’t remember exactly how long it took to get out there. It’s quite a long haul because it’s not in the city. I have to take 2 metros to the edge of Paris and then a long bus ride through the Bois de Bologne out to Rueil where the church is. It’s really a rather pleasant trip, but when you are reliant on public transportation you can’t just roll out of bed and go when you want. The bus leaves every 20 mins so if you are counting on catching the last possible one and you miss it...well then you are at least 20 mins late to church. Emmanuel isn’t a big church, either in building size or congregation size, but it is extremely active and welcoming. The service was nice, and I was glad I had been to young adults Bible study because I had some new friends to sit with.

Afterwards, they were talking about the church fall retreat that is coming up in October. Ruth, one of the ladies that helps lead the young adult group, told me that if you volunteer to help with the childcare some during the weekend then you can go for free, so that is exactly what I am going to do. The retreat is the first weekend in October and is to a retreat center in the Loire Valley. I’m excited because it’ll be really nice to get out of the city and into nature some. Plus the Loire Valley is beautiful, and it’ll be a good chance to get to know some of the other church members outside of the young adult group. It’ll also be cool because Emmanuel has a French congregation that meets in the evening and they are coming too, so the retreat will be bilingual.

Sunday afternoon I was sitting at my computer, talking online and watching Friends when, who should come in through my open window but my Parisian kitty friend. He (I call him he but I really don’t know) was a little tentative at first but seemed to warm up to me a bit as he sniffed every single thing in my apartment. Every corner, shelf, under the bed, behind the bed, in the closet, on the chair- it all got a thorough once over. I myself received the inspection, I guess I passed because he didn’t leave, but he was still a little jumpy and wouldn’t let me pet him, although he did entertain me with a tail chasing incident. I figure he must be someone’s pet, but who knows. He wandered around my apartment for a good 45 mins checking everything out, and when he was done he said goodbye and jumped out the window. Well at least I think he said goodbye, he meowed once, and then left, but I speak American cat so maybe he was telling me off, who knows.

A bientot mes amies-
Lyndsey

No comments: